DUBAI 9 March 2019: A 4-year old child was found with the dreaded MRSA, which was contracted during treatment abroad.
MRSA is also known as a flesh-eating super bug.
The case was brought to light and the child was saved when it was brought in for surgery with a large swelling on the right side of the neck.
The name and gender of the child has not been released.
The patient had endured recurrent swelling on the neck over the period of several years and had repeatedly been prescribed courses of antibiotics to treat the condition while under the care of different doctors in the USA and UK, said a statement from Medcare, the healthcare division of Aster DM Healthcare.
Following blood tests and an MRI scan, oral maxillofacial surgeon Professor Jehad al Sukhun and his team diagnosed the child with MRSA in addition to a chronic infection. The child was successfully operated on under a general anesthetic to remove the chronic inflammatory tissue and right submandibular gland, preserving the vital neck structures, i.e. nerves, muscles and vessels.
Highly Resistant Strain
Highlighting the risks of MRSA, Professor Jehad al Sukhun said: “This is a bacterial strain that is resistant to some widely-used antibiotics. It is likely that the patient contracted MRSA during frequent trips to different medical clinics.”
“This rare case was significant as the child’s body had developed a resistance to antibiotics and the swelling had been left untreated until an in-depth investigation and accurate diagnosis of the route issue at Medcare. Fortunately, the patient has recovered well” he added.
What is MRSA
Most people carry the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus, and when infectious it can be treated easily with antibiotics. It is only when it becomes resistant to antibiotics such as penicillin and methicillin that it is classified as MRSA. Symptoms vary with most cases causing mild infections on the skin, but it can also cause more serious infections. While resistant to some common antibiotics, MRSA can be treated with different types and in severe cases, by intravenous antibiotics.