DUBAI 1 February 2019: Here is some information about Novel Coronavirus (nCoV) that is good to know.
What is the Disease? Novel Coronavirus is a new strain of coronavirus, first identified in clusters with pneumonia symptoms in Wuhan city, Hubei province of China. Most of the cases were epidemiologically linked to the seafood and animal market.
Is there a vaccine against the novel coronavirus? Currently there is no available vaccine that protects against novel coronavirus.
Is there any treatment for Novel Coronavirus? There is no specific treatment. It is mainly supportive treatment that aims at reducing symptoms.
How is the virus transmitted? It’s likely that the Novel Coronavirus originated in an animal species, and then
spread to humans.
Person-to-person spread of the Novel Coronavirus is reported, but it is not yet understood how easily this happens. Other human coronavirus strains are spread from person to person through contaminated droplets from a person who is sick with the illness (through coughing or sneezing) or contaminated hands.
What are the symptoms?
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath
What should symptomatic travelers coming from china do?
If you traveled to china and feel sick with fever, cough, or difficulty breathing, you should:
- Stay at home and avoid mixing with others.
- Seek medical care right away. Before you go to a doctor’s office or emergency room, call ahead and tell them about your recent travel and your symptoms.
- Avoid contact with others.
- Do not travel while sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
What information sources are reliable? We recommend that you receive the correct information from government health agencies and do not circulate information about diseases in general. In the event that any medical support or inquiry is required, contact:
- “Estijaba” service at the operation center – Department of Health at 8001717
- Ministry of Health & Prevention at 80011111
- Dubai Health Authority at 800342
Tips for travelers heading to areas where the -2019nCoV was reported:
- Avoid contact with animals (live or dead), animal products or visiting animal markets.
- Avoid contact with people with respiratory symptoms.