New Zealand mosques shootings accused faces 89 charges in Australia

By Angel Chan

SYDNEY 5 April 2019: The New Zealand Police have said that the Australian man accused of killing 50 Muslim worshippers in gun attacks on two mosques in Christchurch will face 50 murder charges and 39 attempted murder charges, Reuters reported.

“Other charges are still under consideration,” police said in a statement on Thursday.

The courtroom’s public gallery was packed with dozens of friends and families of the victims, some who stared quietly at the defendant throughout, said The Guardian.

The suspected white supremacist, was previously charged with only one murder following the attack and has been remanded without a plea. He is due back in court on Friday, said Wam.

The 15th March terrorist attack was the deadliest mass shooting in New Zealand’s history.

The accused, Australian Brenton Tarrant, faces a total of 89 charges – the most ever laid in New Zealand history.

ALSO READ:

49 dead, 20 seriously hurt in NZ Friday prayers shootings

Mosque Shootings: NZ starts handing over bodies

Mosque Shootings: Darkest hour for New Zealand, says Premier

Mosques Shootings: Mohamed speaks with NZ PM

Mosques Shootings: New Zealand falls silent

Dubai Gazette