6 new Covid-19 cases in UAE even as two recover

By Eudore R. Chand

ABU DHABI 28 February 2020: The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP), on Thursday said two coronavirus patients in the UAE have recovered, while 6 new cases have been confirmed.

The new announcement brings to 19 the number of reported cases, five of whom have been cured so far from the Covid-19.

The two who have recovered are 36-year-old and 37-year-old Chinese citizens. They received treatment in UAE hospitals. The first belongs to the Chinese family who first tested positive for the novel coronavirus in the UAE.

The six newly confirmed cases, who have been screened through the ministry’s ongoing early reporting system, are of different nationalities, including four Iranians, one Chinese and one Bahraini, all of whom had come to the UAE from the Islamic Republic of Iran ahead of the travel ban enforced recently, said MoHAP in a statement to Wam.

A total of 28 people, who were in close contact with the previously confirmed cases, have been screened and all preemptive measures are being taken to prevent the spread of the virus outbreak in coordination with health and other authorities concerned in the country through a very effective epidemiological monitoring mechanism, the statement added.

Preventive Measures

“All the necessary precautions to ensure highly efficient preventive measures are being taken, including check-ups and observation of people in contact with patients. It’s all done as per the guidelines and standards of the World Health Organisation.”

The ministry advised the public to adopt protective health behaviour to avoid infectious diseases, including washing hands with soap and clean water, and covering the mouth when coughing or sneezing to stop the spread of germs and viruses.

It urged the public to follow the preventive procedures and to read the awareness instructions, available on its website and the official websites of other health authorities in the UAE.

2020 UAE Tour’s remaining rounds cancelled after two cases

The Abu Dhabi Sports Council has cancelled the remaining rounds of the 2020 UAE Tour after two Italian participants tested positive for the novel coronavirus, known as Covid-19.

“The decision has been taken to ensure protection of all the race’s participants,” said the council, adding that “safety comes at the top of all priorities.”

In the meantime, the Ministry of Health and Prevention said that all the race’s participants, administrative staff and organisers will be examined through the continuous periodic screening being conducted, and all needed procedures, including quarantine measures, will be taken to ensure viral suppression and curb the spread of its outbreak in coordination with all health and other authorities concerned in the country.

The ministry added that all the necessary precautions to ensure highly efficient preventive measures are being taken, including check-ups and observation of people in contact with patients, to guarantee protection of the society and its safety and preserve public trust.

ALSO READ:

Iran ferry service halted, no GCC travel using ID

First Pakistan Covid-19 case, Bahrain 7, Oman 1

Saudi suspends Umrah over coronavirus fears

Kuwait announces two new coronavirus cases

Dubai Gazette